Friday, January 4, 2013

Today

I wasn't going to write about this.  But today I'm gonna.
All of us will remember December 14, 2012 for a day that 20 young lives were lost.  5, 6 and 7 year old babies that lost their lives to early.  A tragic even that no one really understands how there can be such evil people in our world.  Along with those 6 school administrators/teachers. 
I've shielded my kids as much as possible from the news.  
So yesterday on the day Sandy Hook went back to school I heard the news Arab City School System would be adding an armed officer at each school.  I wonder if their school had a resource officer if it would have made a difference.  So this morning on our way to school
 Grace -  Hey Momma do you know why there were news crews and cameras at our school yesterday?
Me - They're placing a police officer in your school to be there all the time
Grace - Like officer Shedd?  Why is that a big deal?
Me - Well Grace (trying to not let my voice crack) you remember that before Christmas there was a school that children were hurt at.  Well if there had of been someone there to protect them it might not have been as bad or it might could have prevented it from happening at all.  So that's what they are there for, to protect you.  
Grace - Usually we have maybe one lock down drill a year.  Today we are going to have 3 kind of
Me - Really?  Tell me about it.
Grace - well the first one will be in third period and we'll be in a class room.  So we'll know what to do.  Then in PE we'll have one when were in the gym so we'll know what to do and then we'll go outside and go through it so we know where to go.  Rumor has it we run into the woods!  But I don't know yet.  
~~
I was praying she wouldn't look at me as I kept wiping tears from my eyes at the thought of the world they now live in.  The memories of when I was in school and my biggest concern was asking my Mom why the teacher took a pencil and looked through our hair once a week.  
and for a split second letting my mind go there and the Lord reminding me she is his and that he loves her more than I do.  As we pulled in and saw the police car and I loved and kissed my girl and she happily all smiles jumped out of the car and off she went I sent up another prayer for her today and for the teachers that will have to answer questions today and for years to come.  

2 Timothy 1:7  “God did not give us a spirit that makes us afraid but a spirit of power and love and self-control.”


No comments:

Post a Comment